Buying tools from 'Sheds'

Gas News Forum: OLD GAS FORUM: Plant,tools and Equipment: Buying tools from 'Sheds'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Brooks (Croydoncorgi) on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:45 am: Edit Post

There are large numbers of Chinese-origin SDS drills coming into 'DIY Sheds' at ludicrously low prices. The largest outlet is own-branding such a drill at about 80 quid, with 3-year warranty. So far, so good!

But the small print of the warranty specifically EXCLUDES 'trade, professional or hire use'. How exquisitely dumb! For a start, an 850 Watt SDS drill is hardly a DIY must-have for the xmas stocking. And if DIY stores deliberately exclude tradesmen from their clientbase by this sort of thing, what's the point of B&Q 'trade credit cards' etc.?

I'd be the first to agree that these drills are complete crepe. That's the whole point. no-one will nick them and they're so cheap that if one breaks you chuck it away and get a new one. Problem is - it stuffs up the job while you get the new one. I'd MUCH rather 'DIY Sheds' paid more attention to quality and less to their lawyers who draft the warranties! Also, I bet many Chinese exporters are pretty miffed that ALL their products get the bad reputation created by the cheap 'crepe'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Chris) on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 01:33 am: Edit Post

You can buy SDS chiseling drills the shape of the 350 Bosch Multi-Drill for 30 upwards. I met a double glazing installer using two. They usually last him about a year, but are usually dropped or stolen before they wear out.

I think they're perfect for DIY xmas stockings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny Panesar (Danny) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:41 am: Edit Post

Eumig (if I recall correctly), made cine projectors.

Aldi are selling Eumig 9.6 volt rechargeable cordless air pump. It looks like a cordless drill. Has a pressure guage at the rear to measure pressure. Cost about 15.00.

Certainly a lot easier than than pumping the twin cylinder body builder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bryant (Mike) on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 06:57 pm: Edit Post

I've always used the electric air pump thingy that Antares sell for about 30.00. Get the extension hose with it too and the only sweat you work up when re-pressurising is carrying the thing in from the van. It feels soooo decadent to just flick the switch and watch that pressure gauge rise :-)

Big and clumsy to use (and store) though. That Eumig device sounds like another big improvement - provided it lasts more than five minutes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: