Vacuum cleaners

Gas News Forum: OLD GAS FORUM: Plant,tools and Equipment: Vacuum cleaners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bryant (Mike) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

I currently use a small and compact domestic vacuum cleaner for my gas servicing, but it isn't up to the job when it comes to oil boilers. I've got a particularly badly sooted oil boiler to service shortly so it's time to buy a proper one now.

A Henry looks like the default choice, but does anyone have any specific comments or advice on tools for cleaning sooted-up oil boilers before I spend the money?

Cheers, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter John Moffatt (Spareshunter) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:22 pm: Edit Post

Yep. I have had many cheap and expensive vacuum cleansers in my time. But the overriding factor is the filter or bag. Bags, forget them they are just too messy. Filters, they get clocked very quickly but are ideal for the job. Check if replacements are cheap. Put the cost on the job.

Last two I have had, including the current one is the Earelex Combi Vac, wet n dry vac and blower, a little noisy but customers usually think thatís professional and leave the room to let one get on with the job.

Bought at Big Orange shed once, Machine Mart stock them on shelf. Filters are easy to pick up at £ 4.00 - £ 5.00 a pop. So, if you want to suck and blow on the cheap then this is your man. Many accessories available also. The last one I had rotted out as it was metal, but it was 10 years old. New one is all plastic, mine sucks up soot and c**p form fire places no problem. Down side, no smiley face as in Henry, upside? Its top is yellow, so matches your corgi image. Canít be bad can it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Chris) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 01:46 pm: Edit Post

The Earlex /Wickes ones let much too much soot straight through the bag and foam tube you're supposed to leave in. If you use the universal wet/dry filter, they do it even more.
On wet with the universal filter in, they spray water out of the exhaust, a disaster.
SOund pretty hopeless then, but I've had one for years & it's been invaluable. I only use it for water, and only without any filter. Hose stores inside it (if you try), and cable winds round the top.
Can confirm beneficial effect of its noise!

Also have a Henry. Builders use them without a bag, ie just with the disc screen which sits in the middle, because it saves on hassle, but that disc clogs fairly fast. If you use bags it handles soot without drama though. Overall disappointing, suction is not very good. Overheats raidly of you tape the hose to your core drill dust extraction tube!
Same company (Numatic) do make one with more Watts.

Waiting for someone to tell me about a single machine which does everything perfectly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny Panesar (Danny) on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:20 pm: Edit Post

Festo is expensive but very good.