Sat-Nav

Gas News Forum: OLD GAS FORUM: Plant,tools and Equipment: Sat-Nav
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

Weíve just got a new big contract in and Iíve decided it would be cost-effective to invest in Sat-Nav. That is one topic I know nothing about.

I want something I can remove easily [before someone else does] at night. I have also been advised to get one with a fast processor.

I recall Danny has a dish on his roof but all ideas welcomed:

satnav

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Nesbitt (John11668) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 06:43 pm: Edit Post

I am exploring the possibility of installing tomtom navigator six on a mobile and I must have a mobile which has a cradle to suit my installed van hands free kit.
I am proposing to upgrade next Tuesday(not permitted before then) to a Nokia E50 which I am told can accommodate the software and will just slot into its cradle in the van. Take the phone with you and the Sat nav goes too. Only the bluetooth receiver to hide then.

If navigator 6 is as good as the basic tomtom one I will be well pleased. (My daughter has one, very efficient ,no frills but she believes the software is better than the more expensive and more flowery models)
I also would welcome any feedback "if any of ye know cause or just impediment"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny Panesar (Danny) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:40 pm: Edit Post

I have a Street Pilot (quite slow and no post code search). Have replaced it with Tomtom GO910. It is fast, has blue tooth for phone and is very portable and compact. Unclips from windscreen mount by pressing a button. Post code search is very good. Can also be used in Europe as maps are preloaded.

Very neat unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:43 pm: Edit Post

I hadnít figured on buying a phone.

My current mobile is at least 9 years old [gas powered] and was fitted by BT in the Tranny. A true hands-free rig that has stood the test of time. Iíve replaced the handset through ebay and have one spare, brand new in a box, which cost me a fiver through ebay.

Doesnít take pictures but Iíve got 35mm SLR that does that. Doesnít tell jokes either but Iím usually surrounded with people who do [and theyíre getting worse].

I want something that sits in a cradle, plugs in and can be lifted out at night. Streets or post codes. Not bothered about EU or Basingstoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 09:04 pm: Edit Post

OK I've run that Tomtom GO910 model through Google and I'll drop into a few outlets tomorrow.

Might try carphone warehouse first as they may be keener to serve after their recent Vodaphone disappointment.

May also try Jessops my usual camera shop as their service is good.

Thanks for info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 09:19 pm: Edit Post

http://www.jessops.com/Store/c1144/1-1055-1144/Home/Satellite-Navigation/TomTom- Range/details.aspx

OK that's a range of Tom-Tom at Jessops. From 510 to 910 I can't see any major difference. I will of course lose maps of USA and Canada but I'll grin and bear it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Nesbitt (John11668) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:32 pm: Edit Post

I understand that tomtom one is as good as any and a good deal cheaper than most.
If you go to a major (such as curries) then do research their internet price before you visit, Their sales policy says that their stores are obliged to match their internet site,
The forty quid I saved paid for worldwide 5 year cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:12 pm: Edit Post

Surprisingly the prices are cheaper at Jessops but the descriptions are better at Currys.

Toss up now twix 710 and 910. Sleep on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danny Panesar (Danny) on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 07:06 am: Edit Post

Looking to sell the Garmin Streetpilot if anyone is interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bryant (Mike) on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

I've had a TomTom Go 300 for quite a while now and it's performance is brilliant.

Two things about it that are irritating and may or may not have been fixed in later versions:

1) It displays the address of your destination, but as you turn into the road you are visiting the house number disappears from the screen. VERY annoying. It re-appears when you actually get to the house.

2) It is fiendishly easy drop the thing because it is smooth and slippery as a fish. I've dropped mine repeatedly and smashed the screen once (cost £120 to fix). I've stuck loads of sticky mirror-fixing pads on it now with make it MUCH easier to hold on to! It also looks ridiculous now so the local pikeys are less likely to try to steal it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Nesbitt (John11668) on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 06:35 pm: Edit Post

The combination of sat nav in a phone certainly appeals to me. Would your phone service provider not give you an upgrade Les?
Most of us get one every year.
The convenience of lifting one piece of kit out of the van and stuffing it in my top pocket as I currently do with my phone , counts for a lot for me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:29 pm: Edit Post

Iíve lashed out on a TomTom GO710 as I need to get that up and running ASAP before I head off into the wilderness that is North Cheshire.

A bit bulky but I have a spare camera bag as I've just upgraded.

My nice people at Jessops could only apologise. They donít stock any SatNav in their shops, though the website suggests otherwise.

Further down the road Carphone Warehouse did the same. That particular shop used to sell a lot but was downgraded from a SatNav store within the Charles Hunstone empire. Wait while I see him.

Later I was blistering through Cheshire at 29mph and spotted a Comet. A shop I mean. I explained my criteria and a member of staff was allocated.

He was fair, honest and clear. Even printed a list showing characteristics of each side by side. He pointed out that other cheaper models would fit the criteria but I opted for the 710 which has the same speed as the 910.

The blue-tooth compatibility enables modern phones to use the SatNav to give hands-free functionality. I donít need that as I have a true hands-free anyway, fitted years ago by BT. I admit people start sniggering when they see it.

Bearing in mind I had one of those hernia-inducing transportables years ago, Iím not complaining.

Thanks for the advice people.