DISCUSSION BOARD

Gas News Forum: OLD GAS FORUM: Main discussion area: DISCUSSION BOARD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 11:52 am: Edit Post

Gas-News is being rebuilt and will be launched with a new forum. The old forum will not be lost and complete access will be available for research purposes. The new forum will have a different format.

The hundreds of people who registered on the forum will receive one email from Gas-News informing them of the changes. That list will then be scrapped.

When Gas-News started, broadband was only a dream. Now everyone has broadband it seems. Much of the old Gas-News website material will be grouped in related batches and made available as a set of hefty PDF files for posterity, like DVD sets of old TV series. One such batch will relate to the now defunct CORGI (Council for Registered Gas Installers) which will be a biography of their past behaviour, lest we forget).

By all means asked questions now if you wish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MP Macready (Hf400) on Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 03:59 pm: Edit Post

Nice to hear from u again !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Glazier (Agile) on Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 02:53 am: Edit Post

Glad you are still alive!

So all of us ( surviving ) listed members will be delisted after the one email?

Will it then be a read only site?

No more animated discussions then?

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Lerner (Georgeorwell) on Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 07:49 pm: Edit Post

Good luck with the new site. Hows your legal thing going.

Don't know if people are aware of this but a warning from HSE about possible dangers from wood pellet stores.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/safetybulletins/co-wood-pellets.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 08:50 pm: Edit Post

The short answer Tony is that everything will be back to normal before too long.

The Gas-New forum was bought 10 years ago from Discusware but they have now shut up shop in the face of all the freeby forums. It was decided to keep the old forum fully accessible for reading but not for posting. That would be followed by a new freeby forum for the next 10 years.

However having done a lot of work I have binned it. The behind-the-scenes detail of discusware is far superior so I have decided gingerly to rearrange the discusware forum as will be self-evident now.

My apologies for not getting back sooner. I accidentally disabled email notification of postings but I have corrected that now. We can post here for now until the new arrangement as yet undecided is set up.

NB: We have seen the HSE bulletin on wood pellet stores. We will cover that and more in due course as there will be a CO section on the website.

CORGI has now gone forever. What they did cannot be repeated. I believe we can trust the Gas Safe Register but there are of course issues we are all entitled to debate, in the public interest. Indeed we have a duty to do that as much as we have a duty to observe the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

NB: I am now registered for LPG (dwellings).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gradwell (Editor) on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

I should have added that all those registered currently will remain registered in the new organisation of the forum. I can import all those registered to the new topic which will head up the board.

I have been able to extract the email of all registered users and will send one email which will have the effect of weeding out dormant email addresses. There must be some. That will have to be done in batches given the volume of registered users. It is this list that will be scrapped once the exercise is complete. Those registered with viable email addresses will be kept on the system as before.

The new forum and website will be cookie free and advertising free as always.