Infrared thermometers

Gas News Forum: OLD GAS FORUM: Plant,tools and Equipment: Infrared thermometers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Chris) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:19 am: Edit Post

Look like Vascar guns, optional laser, £80+ yes?
Nope, this one looks like a key fob and costs about £18 if you hunt around. TN1 from etiltd.co.uk, but do a google search for "tn1 infrared".
These as a type may not work too well on shiny pipes, cat's fur or in steamy atmospheres. But if you want to check the temp drop across a rad to 0.1ºC (ish), or maybe across the primary of a dhwhe (haven't tried that yet) then this could be the easiest. There is a similar version with a laser "coming soon". The "spot" ratio on this is only 1:1 so you more or less have the front touching the object, but the big point is you don't need a good contact.
It says it in the ads but I was still surprised - it's 2½ inches long!
It also, bizarrely, comes in a tin like 60's Rinsteads, which you could drop, sit on, hammer nails in with, etc. Apparently odd is that it comes with an integral STAND - think about it! But all is revealed in the "modes" instructions - you can leave it on for an hour eg on Max Hold.

Trouble is, to sell a £400 powerflush I'm going to need something big and black, with a laser I have to warn my victim about, in an expensive metal briefcase. If they made one you had to flamboyantly screw together ...

Not sure if these will work:

image/x-jgtn1art
tn1.art (3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Glazier (Agile) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit Post

I saw that too!

Presumably you have bought one Chris? I did wonder about it.

Whilst its accuracy may be to 0.1 degrees that depends on the reflectivity which is adjustable but comes at 0.95. I suppose you could use a contact thermometer and "calibrate" the little one.

I would like it for my mini anti CC kit to add to the mini digi diff pressure meter.

Tony Glazier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Chris) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit Post

Stop no! There WILL be various degrees of misunderstanding on "accuracy". Its accuracy isn't 0.1 degrees. I don't want to launch into a lecture... but holding the button to take a reading at top then bottom of a rad, then returning to confirm, would give a difference accuracy close to the resolution. They could both be 2 degrees out, but that wouldn't matter, because they would be out in the same direction.

Reflectivity isn't the same as emissivity either! But the latter is adjustable between 0.01 and 1.0 .
At the price, I don't think anyone would wish they hadn't bought one.

Error in earlier post - you can make it stay on for an hour, but not in Max Hold mode (I think?!)